LI Spring Big 10 - Week 9 (5/30)
1. BAY SHORE SOFTBALL While most of the BIG 10 teams were under siege this week, Bay Shore remained at the top. This is the third undefeated season in the 29 years under coach Jim McGowan. The Marauders added two more wins this week. Briana Coan hit a bases-clearing double in the fifth to key a 6-2 win over Centereach, and Angelica Horn scored the game-winner on a wild pitch in the ninth inning of a 3-2 win over Connetquot.
2. WEST ISLIP BOYS LACROSSE The Lions can boast of a 39-game winning streak heading into the Suffolk Class A final against Smithtown West on Wednesday. Drew Federico had two goals and two assists and Kyle Carrick anchored the defense in a 6-2 win over No. 5 Connetquot in the semifinals.
3. GARDEN CITY GIRLS LACROSSE They just keep on winning. The Trojans advanced to the Nassau Class B final with a 16-7 win over South Side in which Caroline Tarzian had four goals and three assists, and Mikaela Rix had three goals and three assists. Garden City, ranked second in the nation, will face rival Manhasset in the title game on Wednesday.
4. COLD SPRING HARBOR BOYS TENNIS Cold Spring Harbor is 18-0 after Josh Levine defeated Kevin Katz, 6-2, 6-1 at first singles, and Eric Ambrosio beat Steven Peng, 6-0, 6-2 at second singles in the Seahawks win over Syosset for its fourth straight Nassau title.
5. CHAMINADE BOYS GOLF Chaminade (14-0) beat St. Anthony’s to win their fourth straight CHSAA championship, as seven of their eight varsity golfers qualified for the state tournament, Thursday at James Baird State Park Golf Course in Pleasant Valley.
6. ST. ANTHONY’S GIRLS LACROSSE The Friars wrapped up their season in as grand a fashion as possible, capturing a fourth straight CHSAA Class AA championship with an impressive 20-5 win over Sacred Heart. St. Anthony's finished the season ranked third in the country by LaxPower and ESPN Rise.
7. GARDEN CITY BOYS LACROSSE The Trojans own a 12-game win streak, and in that time, have outscored their opponents, 153-29. Their latest victim was South Side in the Nassau Class B semifinals, 14-2. Tom Gordon scored three goals and Devin Dwyer added two goals and three assists. GC will play Manhasset in tomorrow's final, a rematch of the Woodstick Classic, which the Trojans won 10-6.
8. MANHASSET BOYS LACROSSE The Indians (17-1) earned a Woodstick rematch with a 10-7 win over Wantagh in the Nassau Class B semifinals. Harry Kucharczyk scored four goals and Frank Morelli made eight saves. Manhasset has won eight straight since the Woodstick by a combined score, 92-27.
9. SMITHTOWN WEST BOYS LACROSSE A 7-1 fourth-quarter outburst helped the No. 3 Bulls (15-3) earn a surprisingly easy, 15-7, semifinal upset at No. 2 Ward Melville. Matt Schultz scored four goals, Kyle Keenan and James Pannell each had three goals and Ryan Adler made 13 saves. The Bulls earned a rematch in the title game with No. 1 West Islip, which beat them 8-7 in overtime on May 6.
10. GARDEN CITY GIRLS GOLF The Warriors (16-0) enter the Suffolk Class B playoffs as the No. 1 seed and, along with West Islip, the only other undefeated team on Long Island. They are strongly motivated to return to the LIC, where they lost a heartbreaker in overtime to Garden City last year.
On the outside looking in -- St. Anthony’s boys track, St. Anthony’s girls track.