1. NORTH SHORE GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY The Vikings continued to run past the competition in their march to another state title. Samantha Nadel won the county Class B race in 17:38.4, just 0.3 seconds ahead of teammate Brianna Nerud as the Vikings won their fourth straight overall title. Teammates Jessica Donohue (fourth), Elizabeth Caldwell (fifth) and Alexandra Osman (22nd) also had outstanding performances. North Shore, which has won 51 straight meets, is the defending state Class B champions. They are the BIG 10 new number one.
2. GARDEN CITY FIELD HOCKEY It's like clockwork, the Trojans storming through the regular season then dominating in the playoffs. Alexandra Bruno scored twice to lead Garden City in a 3-0 win over Cold Spring Harbor in the Nassau Class B final to capture a 17th straight county championship.
3. SYOSSET GIRLS TENNIS The Braves won the Long Island girls tennis championship for the third straight year. This time, they beat Half Hollow Hills East, the Suffolk champion, by forfeit, to remain undefeated.
4. MASSAPEQUA BOYS VOLLEYBALL The Chiefs swept Herricks in a county playoff quarterfinal. They are favored to win a third straight Nassau Class A title. They have won 49 consecutive sets and feature the Island’s top 1-2 punch in Chris Husmann and Christian Smith.
5. ST. ANTHONY’S FOOTBALL The Friars extended their winning streak to 27 on Sunday with a 21-0 win over Mt. St. Michael in the quarterfinal round of the playoffs. The Friars tied the Long Island private school record of 27 consecutive wins – which they held from 1994-96. They will meet Iona Prep in the semifinal.
6. SAYVILLE FOOTBALL Even with record-setting QB Steven Ferreira playing only four series as he recovers from a broken nose, the No. 1 Golden Flashes were too much for No. 8 Kings Park in the Suffolk D-III playoffs. Zach Sirico filled in admirably at quarterback throwing for one score and running for another. Up next: Sayville hosts No. 6 Harborfields, which upset No. 3 Miller Place.
7. GARDEN CITY FOOTBALL Garden City continued its undefeated season with a 42-7 win over No. 8 Bellmore JFK in a quarterfinal of the Nassau C-II playoffs. Mark Ellis ran for three touchdowns and Patric Berkery made his return from injury with a receiving touchdown. The Garden City defense is the gold standard, having allowed just 43 points all season.
8. GLENN GIRLS VOLLEYBALL The Spiders did not drop a single set in Suffolk League V and did not allow more than 21 points in a given set. They are the favorites to win an 11th straight Long Island title and are strong contenders to win the state Class B crown.
9. SACHEM EAST FIELD HOCKEY Katie Trombetta assisted both goals as the Flaming Arrows defeated feisty Lindenhurst, 2-0, in the Class A quarterfinals. Top-seeded Sachem East topped No. 4 Bay Shore Monday by a score of 2-1.
10. MASSAPEQUA GIRLS VOLLEYBALL Massapequa (14-0) has been perfect, winning 42-of-42 sets as they look to capture their 12th straight Nassau Class AA title. Lauren Van Buren had 10 kills and 10 digs in a semifinal win over East Meadow.
On the outside looking in -- Bethpage football, Ward Melville girls swimming, St. Anthony’s boys cross country, Garden City girls swimming, Lindenhurst boys volleyball.